Breakfast is the most important meal of our day. The name clearly states that we break our fast after sleeping through the night. Usually it is a good practice to drink a glass of water as the first thing in the morning. Following that you have to eat breakfast within one hour of waking up.
When I was young, I remember having south Indian delicacies like idly, pongal, dosai, poori or upma for breakfast. These days we dont have the time to make all that. It is a fast paced life and in most household both parents work and they are always on the go. I looked up some healthy breakfast ideas and we follow this at our home now. I thought of sharing it with you all
1) Oats with milk and sugar: This is the most favorite. We all like this. It is simple to make. Boil oats in water for a few minutes once it is cooked add some milk and sugar. I dont buy any brand, we like to buy loose oats from Sprouts and usually use that.
2) Smoothie: This is becoming big these days. My kids just love it. I have a Vitamix at home. I put in fruits, vegetables, dry fruits, honey, milk, avocado , protien powder etc and make it.
3) Home-made Yogurt+ Berries+ Granola: This is our house favorite, kids love to eat it and it is also healthy. This si our house favorite granola .
4) Eggs: I am not a great fan of eggs, but I like the egg white omelette, my husband loves scrambled eggs and omelette.Our kids love egg sandwiches.
5) Bread: We always get wholegrain or Honey+ Sprouted wheat bread and have a toast with a spread. I love the spicy spread from Trader Joe’s.Peanut butter + Jelly is our house favorite.
6) High Fiber low sugar cereal: Kids love Cheerios , we try different cereal every time. We love everything with a pinch of cinnamon and nuts on them.
7) Breakfast Bar: This is the last resort when we really wake up very late and dont have the time to fix any breakfast. My kids love Kind bar .
8) Quiche: You can find simple quick recepies online and try to make then for your kids as well. Or you can buy them from Costco.
10) High Protien home made Porridge : I make this at home healthy home made mix . I give this to my kids once a week.
I try to make poha, idly or dosa during weekend mornings. Sometime we have the normal breakfast that we eat during weekdays also.
I am pretty sure each household have your own hidden breakfast tips, please do share them. If you found this post useful do like my FB page IndoUSMoms and also join this group for more discussions IndoUSmoms deals .